Help us continue to bringing the highest quality performing arts to the Upper West Side by becoming a Symphony Space volunteer and meet others who share your love of literature, music, film, and family programs!
Please see the descriptions below to learn how you can join the team. Download our Volunteer Application. You can expect a response within two weeks of submission. Have questions in advance? Contact Peg Wreen at 212.864.1414 extension 248, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stuffing and distributing programs; showing patrons to seats; ticket tearing, helping with pick up after show. Must be able to walk up and down aisle; be courteous, helpful and punctual. Ushers generally arrive one hour prior to showtime and stay about 30 minutes after show ends. Evenings, weekends, occasional daytime. Dress code is black clothes, dark shoes, and neat appearance.
Summer Camp Assistants
- Volunteers assist our literary staff with activities, accompany campers and staff on outings, and help with workshop preparation at the Thalia Kids' Book Club Camp.
- We are looking for at least a half-day commitment for minimum of one week.
- Experience with children preferred.
- Please indicate on your application any special interests or skills you have relevant to the camp of interest.
- Volunteer shifts: 8:15 am – noon; noon-3 pm or noon-6 pm.
Administration & Office Work
Assist staff with mailings and general filing. Data entry work on the literary database using Microsoft Access. Should be familiar with Access or able to learn it quickly.
- Social networking: Assist with posting online notices and comments about Symphony Space shows and activities. Should be familiar with basic social networking tools. Tuesday-Friday 9 am-7 pm. Off-site assistance possible.
- Group Sales: Assist with outreach initiatives to schools, churches, alumni organizations, special interest groups. May require researching groups, contacting them via email or phone. Tuesday-Friday 9 am-7 pm. Off-site assistance possible.
- Archiving: Organize and file archival materials in our Marketing Department. Tuesday-Friday 9 am-7 pm
Sell Symphony Space concessions at live events; these include CDs of Wall to Wall and Selected Shorts. Evenings, weekends, and occasional daytime hours.
Business Administration - Merchandising
Work with our Business Manager in extending our touring scheduling of Selected Shorts and our sales of Selected Shorts and music CDs . Includes web-related research, creating spreadsheets, follow-up with venues. Tuesday-Friday 9 am-7 pm; off-site research maybe possible.
Promote and sell memberships at onsite membership stand during live events. Evenings, weekends, and occasional daytime hours.
Assist with special projects on an as-need basis – e.g. painting, basic carpentry, straightforward repairs, equipment inventory. Tuesday-Friday; 9 am– 7 pm; depending on project.
Shoot workshops, classes, and concerts for our Education Program and Marketing Departments. Times vary. Must have digital camera. Will be required to meet with Marketing and/or Education staff for review of work before assignment.