Marketing Guidelines for Renters
For more information about rental marketing guidelines, including posters and mailing list info, contact: Chanell Crichlow, email@example.com, (212) 864-1414 x225.
Use of the Symphony Space Name and Logo
As you create your marketing and publicity materials including press releases, advertisements, flyers, postcards, posters or any other promotional piece, please keep in mind that we have strict guidelines for how we refer to our building and our organization and for the use of our logo.
- Though our institution is called Symphony Space, our building is called Peter Norton Symphony Space, and you must always refer to the location of your event as such. You should never use “Symphony Space” on its own unless you are specifically referring to the organization instead of the location.
- You are required to use our logo on all designed materials wherever you mention that your show is happening at Peter Norton Symphony Space, unless it falls within a sentence. Click below to download the logo in either Adobe EPS format (for large reproduction) or as a JPG.
- Peter Jay Sharp Theatre: EPS, JPG
- Leonard Nimoy Thalia: EPS, JPG
- We must approve all promotional material prior to printing or distribution. Materials can be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or hightail.com for larger files.
- If your event is in the upstairs theatre, refer to it as happening at "Peter Norton Symphony Space", not the "Peter Jay Sharp Theatre". There is no need to mention the Peter Jay Sharp Theatre anywhere in your materials. The address is 2537 Broadway at 95th Street.
- If your event is happening in the Leonard Nimoy Thalia, refer to it as happening at "Peter Norton Symphony Space's Leonard Nimoy Thalia," or alternately, "Leonard Nimoy Thalia at Peter Norton Symphony Space." Note that the theatre is called the Leonard Nimoy Thalia, not the Thalia Theatre or Thalia Hall.
Symphony Space Website
Every event at Peter Norton Symphony Space has its own event page on symphonyspace.org. We will take basic information from your Rental Application as the description of the event, but we encourage you to submit a lengthier description and up to five photos for your listing.
Each event listing at Peter Norton Symphony space consists of a description, on display with multimedia on the event's listing page. We may also edit the text for a shorter description on the summary page. Symphony Space may re-write the text you submit for the website or may ask you for additional information if there is too little.
If you wish to include photos, sound clips, and/or video clips, please send them to email@example.com
for consideration. Photos should be submitted as 72dpi JPG files, no larger than 800 pixels wide or 600 pixels high. We can flag one photo as your social media image so that when you link to your page, that image appears. The minimum dimensions for Facebook is 600 pixels wide x 315 pixels high. If no such image is selected then it will use the default image, which is a photo of the exterior of Symphony Space.
When you submit changes, please make your requests clear and concise. We will not accept more than one requested change per day. Please keep in mind that the Symphony Space administrative hours are Tuesday through Friday, 9am-7pm. Most changes to your web listing will take one business day to go into effect.
If you choose to create a poster for our display cases please note the following guidelines:
- Symphony Space can print your poster for $125. Please note that Symphony Space will deduct the poster printing fee at settlement.
- Symphony Space will place your poster inside our visiting presenter frame (please see below). The poster size (live area) must be 23.5"W x 52.5"H. Posters that are not this size will not be displayed.
- Completed artwork (high res PDF, JPEG, or TIFF formats at 300dpi in CMYK) can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or hightail.com for larger files.
- All posters must be approved by Symphony Space before printing. Please send artwork to email@example.com for approval.
- If you decide to print a poster on your own, please contact marketing first at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Symphony Space will determine the placement of your poster as well as the length of time it is displayed. Posters are displayed in chronological order by event date. Symphony Space reserves the right to not display a poster if we feel it is particularly out of place with the general aesthetic of our poster display.
- Please note that Symphony Space can only print and display your poster. We do not offer poster design services.
Please provide your printed program – in sufficient quantity and in a manner complete and ready for handout – to the House Manager no later than 3 hours prior to curtain. It is important that your program is printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper folded in half to conform to the theatre "playbill" size. Ushers will slip your program into the Symphony Space House Program cover.
Renting Organizations are allowed a free one-time use of our postal mailing list (Postal mailing list only, not email list). Please contact Chanell Crichlow at email@example.com and let her know:
- How many names are you interested in, up to 5000. Please determine how many names you can afford to mail to before inquiring.
- Which list you are interested in: Theatre, Film, Literature, Dance, Music, Family.
- Whether you would like names from Manhattan only, all NYC boroughs or the entire Tri-State area.
- The contact information for the mailing house where we should send the list.
If you have materials (flyers, postcards, brochures) that you would like displayed in our lobby, please have them dropped off with the security guard in the main lobby to the Marketing Department's attention. Please do not put materials in our lobby on your own.
Our LED marquee prominently displays upcoming programs happening at Symphony Space. Pending theatre approval and space permitting, your show title, along with date and time, may scroll across the marquee for the world to see! Symphony Space will determine the placement of your event on the marquee as well as the length of time it is displayed.
Your event can be included in one of Symphony Space's weekly email newsletters at a charge of $500. The newsletter is currently delivered on Wednesday afternoons to approximately 50,000 patrons and has a 10-18% open rate and a 2-3% click rate. All email copy must be approved before an email is sent. Your event will be listed with a 125 pxel x 150 pixel thumbnail, headline, and maximum 255 character description approved by Symphony Space based on your website listing and sent to you before delivery.
Because the Symphony Space email newsletter is a tool that has been created to promote events produced and co-produced by Symphony Space, we cannot list buy-in events above Symphony Space events. Events are not listed in chronological order. While Symphony Space does employ a professional email distribution service in order to maintain the highest possible delivery rates, we cannot guarantee that emails will make it past any individual spam filter.
We prefer to receive all information, including photos, by email. Sending us your information electronically insures you the fastest turn-around time.
Please list your event date and name in that order in the subject line of your email.
Always cc firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.